Math 314 homework assignment #4
Practice problems for the midterm. You do not need to turn these in.
Topics for the midterm:
- Vector spaces - definition and first properties (Section 1.1)
- Fields, examples, Euclid's algorithm (lecture notes)
- Examples of vector spaces (Section 1.1)
- Constructions, spans, and linear conditions (Section 1.2, 1.7)
- Spaces of linear maps, dual spaces (Sections 1.4, 8.1)
- Bases and dimension, the fundamental lemma of linear algebra
(Sections 1.2, 2.5, lecture notes)
- Linear maps, matrix representation (Section 1.3)
Read sections 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.7 and 2.5 from the book.
Here is a PDF file
of Homework 4.